Take a 3-day outback and rainforest safari in an off-road vehicle, including wilderness lodge accommodation in a tropical forest!
On this adventure tour you’ll see:
- Cooktown, where Captain Cook beached his ship the Endeavour in 1770 and where the word ‘Kangaroo’ entered the English language
- The giant trees, mangroves and stunning tropical forest of Cape Tribulation
- The famous Daintree Rainforest (with a good chance of spotting crocodiles)
- Breathtaking views of the Coral Sea
- The stunning Lake Mitchell wetlands with it’s various species of waterbirds
Block out date: 27.12.20
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||Pick ups from Cairns and Northern Beaches hotels.|
|DEPARTURE TIME||Pickups between 7:30 and 8:00AM for an 8:00AM departure|
DAY 1: Split Rock to Cooktown
- Depart to the Great Dividing Ranges
- Enjoy a quick visit to the Coffee Works Roastery in Mareeba
- Observe waterbirds at Lake Mitchell.
- View the approx 20,000 years old Aboriginal rock paintings and stencils in Quinkan Country.
- Arrive at your wilderness lodge, Mugumby Lodge
DAY 2: Cooktown
- After breakfast, drive past Black Mountain to Cooktown, where Captain Cook in 1770 hoisted the Union Jack and claimed the continent for England (includes possibility to visit the interesting James Cook Museum, a former convent school).
- A short drive brings you to picturesque Quarantine Beach.
- After a stroll along the foreshore and a refreshing stop in the famous “Lions Den Pub“ in Helensvale, we return to the lodge.
- Accomodation Mugumby Lodge
DAY 3: Daintree National Park to Cairns
- Depart your wilderness oasis and travel on the dusty Bloomfield Track with the Barrier Reef just offshore.
- Cross the Bloomfield River Bridge and take in the giant trees and mangroves near Cape Tribulation.
- Drive onto the cable ferry to cross the mighty Daintree River then enjoy a river cruise.
- There is a good chance to encounter saltwater crocodiles so have your camera ready!
- Return down the Coral Coast via Port Douglas to Palm Cove and Cairns.
Length and grade of walks adjusted according to fitness levels – where possible . We reserve the right to alter the tour itinerary should roads be flooded or closed. In that case we do our best to offer alternative accommodation with the same standard.