The Best of OZ combines spectacular tours across Sydney, the Red Centre and Queensland, including airport transfers and all accommodation. It is a perfect first-timer trip for independent travellers happy to join different small groups. Maximum 12 participants and weekly departures are guaranteed with a minimum of 2 people!
On this adventure tour you’ll see:
- Sydney by land and sea
- The Blue Mountains
- The Outback, Alice Springs and Uluru
- Queensland’s Daintree rainforest and the Great Barrier Reef
- Tropical Cairns
|DEPARTURE/TOUR END||Departs from Sydney Airport with transfers to accommodation and end in Cairns|
|DEPARTURE||Departing every Wednesday|
|TOUR END||Finishes on a Wednesday 15-days later|
|WEAR||Comfortable athletic clothing, walking shoes, hat, jacket and sunscreen.|
This combined package tour is operated with changing local driver guides. Length and grade of walks adjusted according to fitness levels – where possible . We reserve the right to alter the tour itinerary should roads be flooded or closed. In that case we do our best to offer alternative accommodation with the same standard.
Day 1: Welcome to Sydney
- Arrive in Sydney, meet & greet at the airport and transfer to hotel.
- Take the rest of the day to settle in or explore Sydney on your own.
Day 2: Sydney by land and sea
- Morning mini-bus tour of Sydney city and beaches. Visiting Mrs Macquaries Point, colourful Kings Cross, cosmopolitan Double Bay and elegant Vaucluse.
- Stroll the cliffs at South Head, visit Bondi Beach, Paddington with its terrace houses, China Town and arrive at Sydney’s birthplace “The Rocks”. After this you will be transferred to the Marina to join the cruise.
- After boarding your small group (14 pax) catamaran cruise, enjoy a luncheon buffet in tranquil Lane Cove River with stunning views.
- Then cruise Port Jackson from the Harbour Bridge and Opera House to North Harbour. At around 16:30 hrs we will drop you off at Darling Harbour (return hotel transfer not included).
- B, L
Day 3: Blue Mountains Country
- See Australian native animals at Featherdale Wildlife Park.
- Travel up the sandstone plateau of the Blue Mountains, 1000 metres above sea level and UNESCO World Heritage Area.
- Take the Wentworth Falls walk to Princess Rock. Later on, visit the famous “Three Sisters” sandstone formation.
- Enjoy a delicious lunch at a historic venue.
- B, L
Day 4: Sydney to Alice Springs
- Pick-up and transfer to the airport.
- 3 hrs flight, arrive at Alice Springs in the Red Centre of Australia.
- Airport transfers from the airport to hotel.
- The remainder of the day is at your own leisure.
Day 5: Alice Springs - Glen Helen Gorge
- Sightseeing tour of Alice Springs including a stopover at the ANZAC Hill lookout.
- Then drive out to historic Telegraph Station to visit the birthplace of “The Alice“.
- Walk Simpsons Gap and Ormiston Gorge
- Stay at rural Wilderness Lodge on the bank of the Finke River.
- B, D
Day 6: Glen Helen - Wararrka National Park (Kings Canyon
- Take the dusty Mereenie Road across a colourful semi desert to Watarrka National Park.
- In the afternoon enjoy the 2-3 hrs walk up and across the Kings Canyon plateau, from the sandstone domes of the “Lost City“ to the oasis of the “Garden of Eden”.
- Stay at the Kings Canyon Resort
- B, D
Day 7: Watarrka - Uluru Kata-Tjuta National Park
- Over red sand dunes and past salt lakes to Uluru National Park.
- Check in at Ayers Rock Resort
- Travel to Kata-Tjuta (Olgas) and take the “Valley of Winds” 1-2 hr walk to the lookout.
- Catch a magnificent sunset at Uluru with a (now) traditional glass of sparkling wine.
Day 8: Alice Springs - Cairns
- Early departure to catch sunrise at Uluru.
- Visit the award-winning Cultural Centre.
- Take a relaxing walk to water holes and caves with Aboriginal rock paintings before returning to Yulara village for breakfast.
- In the afternoon take a 3-hr flight, touch down in Cairns.
- Airport transfers to the hotel.
Day 9: Kuranda Village
- Morning transfer to the Skyrail Station for a cable car trip over the treetops up to tranquil Kuranda. Enjoy some free time in Kuranda.
- Visit the Pamagirri Aboriginal Centre for didgeridoo music, spear throwing and dreamtime dances.
- Afternoon return to Cairns by minibus.
Day 10: The Great Barrier Reef
- Board a fast catamaran (100-150 pax) for a day tour to the Great Barrier Reef.
- A delicious luncheon buffet, snorkel gear, semi-submersible boat and transfers are included.
- Note: This is an English-speaking day-tour without guide.
- B, L
Day 11: Cairns
- Discover the city of Cairns on your own.
- Visit the markets, the Marlin Marina or do some shopping.
Day 12: Quinkan Country - Cooktown
- Depart to the Great Dividing Ranges.
- Observe waterbirds at Lake Mitchell.
- View the approx 20,000 years old Aboriginal rock paintings and stencils in Quinkan Country.
- Afternoon arrival at your rainforest lodge.
- B, D
Day 13: Cooktown
- After breakfast, drive past Black Mountain to Cooktown, where Captain Cook in 1770 hoisted the Union Jack and claimed the continent for England (includes possibility to visit the interesting James Cook Museum, a former convent school).
- A short drive brings you to picturesque Quarantine Beach.
- After a stroll along the foreshore and a refreshing stop in the famous “Lions Den Pub“ in Helensvale, we return to the lodge.
- B, D
Day 14: Daintree National Park - Palm Cove
- Depart your wilderness oasis and travel on the dusty Bloomfield Track with the Barrier Reef just offshore.
- Cross the Bloomfield River Bridge and take in the tree giants and mangroves near Cape Tribulation.
- Enjoy the river cruise for an encounter with saltwater crocodiles.
- Then travel down the Coral Coast and via Port Douglas to Palm Cove.
- B, L
- Your tour program ends after breakfast. As advised our driver picks you up for your airport transfer.
- Farewell and return flight to your home port.
- American Airlines
- British Airways
- Cathay Pacific
- Japan Airlines
- LATAM Airlines
- Malaysia Airlines
- Royal Jordanian
- S7 Airlines
- SriLankan Airlines
- Day 4: (Saturdays) Sydney-Alice Springs with Qantas QF790 at 9.30am (arrival Alice at 12.20)
- Day 8: (Wednesdays) Ayers Rock – Cairns with Qantas QF1854 at 15.20 (arrival Cairns at 18.20)